tiistai 4. huhtikuuta 2017

Silent data corruption really is real.

2 months ago I ran cshatag [1] on around 500GiBs of data. Today I rsync'd it to a new drive and re-ran cshatag. I was shocked to discover 31 files had been corrupted! Further examination revealed that corruption only happened in the transferred files, and the ones on the old drive were still OK (phew). Still very unsettling.

What do you guys think? Is rsync to blame? Or is my new drive the culprit even though it's much more expensive and higher end? [2] Would a different filesystem have prevented it (both drives were ext4)? What tests should I perform next to find out more?

[1] http://bit.ly/2nIDexf I recommend it. Very simple to use.

[2] Old drive is a 1TB WD Blue (WDC_WD10EZEX) new one is a 4TB HGST Ultrastar (HGST_HUS726040AL)

submitted by /u/MahouMaouShoujo to r/linux
[link] [comments]

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Huomaa: vain tämän blogin jäsen voi lisätä kommentin.