tiistai 19. toukokuuta 2015

People of Reddit, have you ever felt betrayed by Google’s Linux policy? MTP + Linux again.

Despite all the pros of moving from USB mass storage to MTP, the main thing that google did there is disrupting of the brittle open-source ecosystem. I guess this was written many times in every androidish blog. They fix what’s not being broken with something which never worked for Linux. It’s not like I’m against MTP, it solves more problems than creates, taking in mind that Linux users are endangered species these days.

Well, honestly, sometimes it works. Sometimes not. You know, when you visit your doctor, and tell her: «my leg hurts», and she responds back: «I have the very same leg, exactly like yours, and it does not hurt at all». Basically this is what I get every time I tell anyone about MTP problems. Did I asked much? Partial reads/writes? Speedy uploads? Stable uploads?? Album covers anyone? Unicode? (well who cares, it’s well known that any files with ЗАЩИЩАЮЩИЕСЯ mumbo-jumbo in it is not music at all).

Yes, I'm agree, I'm asking too much. This whole list could be shrunk to «connect less than minute» and «do not crash every second folder uploaded».

Then I gave up poking in different software in different stages of brokenness and wrote the mtp implementation from scratch. I carefully listened to all feedback I had so far, and embedded all features I asked for. Also I hijack this name from google (it was mentioned in android help), trying to gain some recognition. (I’m still waiting for «cease and desist» letter lol) And it (writing) took some time though, barely a «bloated R&D of software giants/second».

So I kindly ask linux users of reddit to check it out and send me feedback and bugs there. (Or maybe even ask your distribution to include it!) This definitely needs to be fixed once and for all.

The sources are available on github there: http://bit.ly/1FsxQDo

Right now it supports:

  • Fuse interface via partial get/set (fast)
  • Simple Qt interface
  • Unlimited object sizes (>4Gb)
  • Fast (~20Mb/s)
  • Auto-preparation of album covers for android media server.

And many small features too small to mention here.

Phew… thank you very much, now I feel much better. :)

PS The same applies for Microsoft, but at least they don’t use Linux and other open-source crapware if it could be an excuse. :)

PPS I’ve been told that Lumia phones work only with AFS under linux.

submitted by whoozle to linux
[link] [85 comments]

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Huomaa: vain tämän blogin jäsen voi lisätä kommentin.