sunnuntai 11. kesäkuuta 2017

Amarok was once the most popular music manager for KDE, but now the project is dead. What happened?

I used Linux exclusively in the early Aughts. I also was an early adopter of the iPod, and at the time, Amarok was the best solution for managing a large library and syncing it with an iPod. I was around for the disaster was was Amarok 2.0 and the shift to KDE 4 where the program lost tons of features and made some controversial UI choices. But when I last used it, the developers seemed to have relented and were bring back much of the 1.x line's features. Things seemed to be looking up for the project.

Now, I haven't used Linux in years but decided to see what some of my favorite programs were up to these days. I was surprised to see Amarok's site hasn't been updated in years and commits to the code had fallen off to nothing. I know the shift to 2.x hemorrhaged users, but did it kill the project? If I were to install a modern distro, what options are out there to manage a 100Gb music collection and sync it to an iPod?

submitted by /u/talkingwires to r/linux
[link] [comments]

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Huomaa: vain tämän blogin jäsen voi lisätä kommentin.