maanantai 28. joulukuuta 2015

Entire US voter registration record leaks (191 million)

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: I'm happy to confirm that the database is now offline! Thank you to whoever finally took if down!

~~~~~~~~

I'm Chris Vickery. I know your phone number, address, date of birth, and more (if you're registered to vote in the US).

I have recently downloaded voter registration records for 191 million Americans from a leaky database. I believe this is every registered voter in the entire country. To be very clear, this was not a hack.

The mysterious, insecure database is currently configured for public access. No password or other authentication is required at all. Anyone with an internet connection can grab all 300+ gigabytes.

We're talking about first name, middle name, last name, home address, mailing address, phone number, date of birth, party affiliation, and logs of whether or not you voted in primary/general elections all the way back to 2000. I looked myself up in the Texas table. It's accurate.

It is not known whether or not "high risk professionals" are included in this database. However, I have looked up several police officers in my city, and their data is indeed present.

I've been working with journalists and authorities for over a week to get this database shut down or secured. No luck so far.

Check out the initial coverage here: http://bit.ly/1IArUfH

http://bit.ly/1MEogfC

tl;dr: Feel sorry for any journalist that already wrote a "Biggest privacy breaches of 2015" story.

EDIT: Forbes article is up http://onforb.es/1IArSEw

EDIT 2: I'll sum up the core issue for those that are denying the newsworthiness of this discovery:

Our society has never had to confront the idea of all these records, all in one place, being available to anyone in the entire world for any purpose instantly.

That's a hard pill to swallow.

submitted by FoundTheStuff to privacy
[link] [455 comments]

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Huomaa: vain tämän blogin jäsen voi lisätä kommentin.