tiistai 27. lokakuuta 2015

Prominent Smartphone Company Refuses To Provide Linux Kernel Sources Under GPL

I'm sure most of you have heard of ZTE, a prominent Chinese smartphone company. Well, here's my story.

I have a ZTE Score x500, which is admittedly a terrible phone. I've been trying to port AOSP (Android Open Source Project) to it, but I need the kernel source code. Usually, an OEM will release the kernel sources on a website soon after the product or update is released, though it is not required. They are required to release it upon request. However, source code for the Score is not listed on ZTE's open source release site. My next step was to email ZTE about acquiring the source code, which they are REQUIRED to do. Below is my email and their reply:

L*** C*** <*******@gmail.com>

9:15 AM (7 hours ago)

to mobile@

To whom it may concern:

I own a ZTE Score x500 and am an Android developer, Linux enthusiast, and Free Software Foundation supporter. I noticed that you have not released the kernel source code for the ZTE Score x500 on your Open Source bulletin webpage. I am requesting you provide me with the kernel source code for the ZTE Score x500 as required under the GPL.

Thank you,


mobile@zte.com.cn

9:53 AM (7 hours ago)

to me Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting ZTE

If you are looking for the Kernel source code than

Please check in the below link .

http://bit.ly/1P46h7N

If that model is not available there than we really Sorry to inform you that we can't provide this now it may take more time depends on the technical department.

You can also contact the local dealer where you purchased the device to or network operator to send a request to ZTE so that we can release the Kernel source code because

ZTE is not selling any product to the customer or in the market directly.

ZTE will sell only in bulk quantity to the network provider and to the dealer

Should there be further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards

I contacted the carrier (Cricket) but was initially turned away, then told they would look into it, but I have doubts about it. ZTE has been known to do this to source code they seemingly don't wish to release, even replying with the exact email, verbatim.

I would like guidance on what I should do next. At this point it's less about getting the actual source than making a manufacturer follow the licenses for FLOSS software they use.

submitted by doctorsn0w to linux
[link] [34 comments]

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Huomaa: vain tämän blogin jäsen voi lisätä kommentin.