tiistai 27. marraskuuta 2012

Just another reason why I love Linux and FOSS


I am traveling this week at a conference and I wanted to watch the shows my TiVo recorded while at the hotel. All I had to do was:



  • ssh -X homeIP

  • run kmttg to download and convert the video on my home PC

  • scp the video to my laptop at the hotel


It always amazes me how the entire FOSS stack has come together to make almost anything possible and everything I did today are things I have done for the last 10 years!


If I ran Windows I am sure I could have connected to my home PC somehow (RDP maybe?) and used a similar Windows tool to convert it and then used something like Dropbox to copy the file off but with Linux this ability is baked in and usable by default. I didn't have to do anything except setup SSH for remote access to make this possible.



submitted by Darrena to linux

[link] [197 comments]

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Huomaa: vain tämän blogin jäsen voi lisätä kommentin.